The road to becoming a successful medical practitioner, in this day and age, is full of hard work, struggle, and perseverance. When you finally get that MBBS seat after all the all-nighters you pulled, the entrance exams you gave, and the parties you missed, is a whole other feeling of satisfaction! Congratulations! You’ve embarked on a long and arduous journey of becoming a doctor.
To be successful in a field like medicine that is so vast, meticulous, and ever-growing takes a lot of years, practice, and knowledge. We don’t need to tell you that as a doctor you must constantly strive to increase your knowledge and gain valuable experience. Those 5 and a half years of MBBS are just the beginning and will leave at the doorsteps of a vast and interesting field!
You need to have a plan of action after completing your MBBS. Let us look at some courses you can pursue after MBBS that will not only benefit your career but also will help you gain recognition in society.
Diploma in Gynecology and Obstetrics (DGO)
The female reproductive system is quite complex. Some aspects of female reproductive health still remain a mystery. This course is a good opportunity for doctors and med students to gain some expertise in the field of gynecology. Here is everything about the course:
What is DGO?
As mentioned earlier DGO stands for a Diploma in Gynecology and Obstetrics. This postgraduate level course lasts 2 years and opens doors to various opportunities in the fields of gynecology and obstetrics. How will you gain knowledge and opportunities you ask? Read on to find out more about D.G.O.
A candidate is deemed eligible for admission when he/she holds an MBBS or equivalent degree from a recognized institution. In addition to this, they must have secured 50% or higher marks in their qualifying examination
Well just having an MBBS degree is not enough, like all medical education programs, this one too is highly competitive. Admissions into the D.G.O course are done on the basis of national level medical entrance exams like NEET PG, IN CET, etc. The selection is purely merit based, so put on your thinking caps and ace that test!
Subjects taught during the course
There are a plethora of subjects that are taught during the course of this diploma. The course lasts two years and is divided into semesters. Throughout the diploma, you will be gaining knowledge and hands-on experience in the field of gynecology and obstetrics. Here are some topics that are covered
Gynecology refers to the medical practice that deals with female reproductive health. The subjects offered might vary slightly from college to college but here are some of the topics covered.
- Basics of Gynecology:
- Anatomy of the female reproductive and urinary system
- Development of female reproductive system and associated malformations
- Physiology of menstruation, ovulation, and spermatogenesis
- Common menstrual disorders-Diagnosis and management
- Reproductive Endocrinology
- Early diagnosis and management of benign and malignant tumors found in the female reproductive system.
- Prevention, Diagnosis, and management:
- Reproductive tract infections
- Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs)
- Genital tuberculosis
- Operative gynecology:
- Abdominal and Vaginal hysterectomy
- Surgical procedures for genital prolapse
- Surgical management of benign and malignant genital neoplasms
- Repair of genital fistulae, SUI
- Operative endoscopy – Laparoscopic, Hysteroscopic
- Medico-legal aspects, Ethics, communications, and counseling
- How to deal with sexual assault victims: Diagnosis, support, care and management
- Basics of Gynecology:
It is the field of medicine that deals with the care and management of pregnant ladies. This course also includes material about neonatal care and family planning. Here are all the skills you’ll be learning in a nutshell.
- Basic concepts of obstetrics:
- Anatomy of the abdomen, pelvis, inguinal canal, rectal and anal canal, fetus.
- Development and formation of the fetus
- Fundamentals of reproduction
- Molecular biology
- Normal pregnancy, Labour, and postpartum care
- Pregnancy complications: Early recognition and appropriate management techniques
- Infections that occur during pregnancy (Including those that spread through sexual contact)
- Diagnosis techniques like ultrasound
- Evaluation of fetal and maternal health during pregnancy
- Detection of fetal abnormalities and appropriate management techniques
- Maternal and fetal health monitoring during labor
- Detection and management of abnormal labor: Normal and abnormal Puerperium, Puerperal sepsis, Thrombophlebitis, Puerperal venous thrombosis, Psychosis, Post-partum shock.
- Obstetric analgesia and anesthesia
- Umbilical cord presentation, prolapse, and its management
- Operative obstetrics:
- Caesarian section
- Medical termination of Pregnancy (MTP)
- Drugs used during obstetrics: Prostaglandins, blood products, etc.
- Basic concepts of obstetrics:
These subjects along with training in neonatal care and family planning will be sure to grant you a fair bit of mastery over the diagnosis and management of conditions associated with the female reproductive system.
Career Prospects of D.G.O
We hope that by now you have considered D.G.O as a valid option to pursue after your MBBS degree. Now you must be wondering what options do this course opens for my career. Here are some employment opportunities that will be available for you after completion of your diploma:
- OB/GYN: A doctor that specializes in female reproductive and maternal care.
- Gynecology consultant
- Family planning consultant
- Clinical Associate: You can pursue research and develop innovative techniques that can be used in the field of gynecology and obstetrics
- Infant healthcare specialist
- Fertility expert
There are a number of well paying and well-recognized opportunities waiting for you after D.G.O
If that wasn’t enough to convince you to venture into gynecology, here is a list of a few renowned doctors who are currently flourishing in their respective fields.
- Dr. Malvika Sabharwal
Achievements: Awarded the Padma Shri, Recognized as top 20 achievers by modern medicare magazine
Education: MBBS, DGO, FICOG, Diploma in Endoscopic Surgery
Experience: More than 30 years
- Dr. Aparna Jain
Achievements: Certificate of merit and gold medal in physiology-1985
Education: MBBS, DGO, DNB- Gynecology and obstetrics
Experience: More than 27 years
- Dr. Rita Bakshi
Achievements: Women Entrepreneurship award in the field of medicine-2015, Best upcoming IVF chain award-2015.
Education: MBBS, DGO, MD in Gynecology and Obstetrics
Experience: More than 34 years
- Dr. Sushmita Mukherjee
Achievements: Gold medal for excellence during her diploma
Education: MBBS, FICOG, DGO, MD, DNB
We hope that the achievements and experience that these doctors have gained have motivated you to pursue DGO.
Anyone who is practicing medicine will tell you that ultrasound and sonographic techniques play an important role in the diagnosis and treatment of patients. Not only does it helps monitor the mother as well the baby’s health throughout the trimesters it also helps in the detection of other health problems. Now the DGO course does cover some of the ultrasound techniques, there is no harm in expanding your knowledge about this diagnostic tool.
Here are some courses that you can pursue
- Certification in gynecological and obstetric ultrasound
Short term (6 months to a year)
Hands-on training is given by experts in the field
Make sure to choose to do this course from a reputable and recognized institution. The Federation of Obstetric & Gynecological Societies of India (FOGSI) offers many training courses
- Diploma in Diagnostic Ultrasound
Pursue this course if you have an interest in diagnostic ultrasound
This course lasts for up to two years
- MSc. in Medical Ultrasound
This course also lasts for up to two years
Such courses are usually recommended for people who have an interest in medical ultrasound
Career Prospects of an Ultrasound Certification
Pursuing a degree or certification in medical or diagnostic ultrasound opens up various opportunities for you. A medical practitioner who is well versed in the art of ultrasound/sonography is highly sought after in hospitals and clinics. With advances in imaging technology, a doctor who is trained in sonography helps in the early detection and treatment of various ailments. Apart from that, you can join certain research institutions, for example, Doctors in clinical trials.
Furthermore, a doctor can specialize in specific fields of ultrasound, such as:
- Specialization in Cardiac ultrasound
- Ultrasound of the lungs
- Gynecology and obstetric ultrasound
- Fetal echocardiography
- Musculoskeletal ultrasound
- Abdominal sonography (Diagnoses abnormalities in the kidneys, urinary tract, and reproductive systems)
As a doctor the things you can learn and practice are endless. This blog illustrates a few courses that are at your disposal. Do your research, explore your interests and find out which field of specialization is in line with your interests. We hope you find the ones mentioned in this article enticing and wish that you have a successful career
- DGO-Diploma in Gynecology and Obstetrics. Available from: http://cpsmumbai.org/syllabuspdf/DGO.pdf Accessed on: 31st January 2022.
- 15 Best Gynecologists in Delhi in 2021. Available from: https://www.momjunction.com/articles/top-best-gynecologists-in-delhi_00753476/ Accessed on: 31st January 2022.
- Dr. Sushmita Mukherjee. Available from: https://www.motherhoodindia.com/doctor/dr-sushmita-mukherjee/ Accessed on: 31st January 2022.
- Diploma of Diagnostic Ultrasound. Available from: https://www.asum.com.au/education/ddu-course/ Accessed on: 31st January 2022.
- List of USG training centers. Available from: http://www.fogsi.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/training_program/usg_training_list_march_2016.pdf Accessed on: 31st January 2022.
DGO stands for a Diploma in Gynecology and Obstetrics.
Throughout the diploma, you will be gaining knowledge and hands-on experience in the field of gynecology and obstetrics.
1. Dr. Malvika Sabharwal
2. Dr. Aparna Jain
3. Dr. Rita Bakshi
4. Dr. Sushmita Mukherjee
Some of the Sonography courses are:
1. Certification in gynecological and obstetric ultrasound
2. Diploma in Diagnostic Ultrasound
3. MSc. in Medical Ultrasound