World Osteoporosis Day is celebrated on 20th October every year. Here are 12 facts about bones and the silent disease ‘osteoporosis’:
- Depressed women produce more amounts of cortisol, which breaks down the bone, as compared to normal women. Hence, depressed women tend to have lower bone density. Antidepressants such as selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors and methotrexate are also associated with osteoporosis.
- Caucasians and Asians face a greater risk of bone thinning compared to others. On the other hand, Black and Hispanic women have the lowest risk.
- Excessive salt results in increased removal of calcium through urine and sweat. This can induce bone loss in a calcium-deficient individual.
- The collagen present in the bone repairs itself continuously. Therefore, a new skeleton appears every seven years.
- Research suggests that soft drinks, particularly those containing phosphoric acid, increase the risk of osteoporosis.
- Osteoporosis has been found to occur in ancient skeletons. Therefore, this disease has been in existence for thousands of years.
- The most common type of wrist fracture occurring in people with osteoporosis is a Colles fracture – breaking of the radius and the displacement of the wrist.
- A woman’s risk of hip fracture is equal to her risk of developing breast, uterine, and ovarian cancer combined.
- Astronauts are at risk of developing osteoporosis because of their prolonged weightlessness. Gravity is necessary for strong bones!
- Osteoporosis is more common in developed countries than in developing ones, among city dwellers than country dwellers and, surprisingly, in countries where the diet contains a significant proportion of milk, cheese, and other dairy products than in countries where the consumption of dairy products is small or nonexistent.
- About 3,000 years ago, ancient Egyptians developed the first functional prosthesis: An artificial big toe.
- Research shows too much vitamin A can put you at higher risk for bone loss and fracture. Vitamin A is present in retinol, which is often prescribed to treat skin conditions ranging from acne to age spots and wrinkles.
8 Surprising Facts About Osteoporosis https://www.healthgrades.com/conditions/8-surprising-facts-about-osteoporosis. As accessed on 16 October 2019.
64 Interesting Osteoporosis Facts https://www.factretriever.com/osteoporosis-facts. As accessed on 16 October 2019.
7 Things You Didn’t Know About Your Bones https://www.health.com/health/article/0,,20840533,00.html. As accessed on 16 October 2019.
17 Ways to Fight Osteoporosis https://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20530252,00.html. As accessed on 16 October 2019.
11 Surprising Facts About The Skeletal System https://www.livescience.com/44137-skeletal-system-surprising-facts/2.html. As accessed on 16 October 2019.